Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Last Week pt. 1


 
What an exhausting and incredible week last week was! I was really fortunate to participate in the “Come on in My Kitchen” show at Barking Legs Theater. The show featured amazing dances, food and drink, and poetry. We ran for three consecutive nights, and it seemed like each night, the audience grew increasingly more responsive.

 
I had the honor of leading the show off each night, and it was tremendous fun to set the tone for the night. I was asked by Ann Law to do my poem Worlds (which you can find in my chapbook Ghosts & Echoes that is available in my merch section), and because I’m easy to work with, I quickly agreed. Worlds is a really interesting poem for me. It begins in a pretty provocative manner before completely shifting. I wrote the piece back in 2008 on my back while recovering from a foot surgery, and, over the years, it has become a poem that I seldom have the opportunity to perform anymore, so it was a lot of fun to break it back out.

 

It was a real treat to be able to live in that creative space for three nights. I loved every moment of it, and it was really inspiring to see how everything came together each night with grace, sass, and heart. If I had the opportunity to do the show again, I’d leap at it in a heartbeat.

 
WUTC’s Around & About ran a story on me last Friday, and it came out great. I sat down with Michael Miller, and we talked about my EP, some of the stories behind the pieces on the record, and a range of other things. If you’d like to give it a listen, you can check it out here: http://wutc.org/post/poet-collier-steps-studio-between-beauty-bedlam

 
Part 2 is coming next!

No comments:

Post a Comment