Sunday, November 21, 2010

One of the things that I’ve been most thankful for this year has been the New Voices Poetry Reading. It takes place the third Saturday of each month and Ray Zimmerman is the creator/host/organizer of it. Ray has opened the door for a number of the poets who come out to The Speakeasy, and it’s an honor to be able to hear a different crop of poets.

At November’s New Voices, I had the opportunity to perform, and I chose to do two poems that deal with race. The first one is called Acceptance, and the second, which is dedicated to Martin Luther King Jr., is called Weight. The Undoctored Originals, who serve as the house band for the event, accompanied me on the latter piece, and I’m pleased with how it came out. It was spontaneous, but that tends to be the plane that I operate on.



You can peep the videos below, and don’t be afraid to let me know what you think. Fair warning, the video quality isn't fantastic.



No comments:

Post a Comment