Thursday, April 1, 2010

MamaDear


My good friend Shawnessy Cargile purchased one of my chapbooks a few weeks ago. We had a conversation about some of the poems, and he told me that really enjoyed one that's called MamaDear. The poem is basically an ode to my grandmother.

Yesterday, Shawnessy hit me up with a link, and when I clicked on it, I was pleasantly surprised to see that he'd put the poem to music. Brilliant idea, and it's one that I never would've thought to do.

For those of you who are interested, you can check it out here: http://web.me.com/shawnessey/Site/Podcast/Entries/2010/3/13_mamadear.html

Also, you can check out the text of my poem below:

MamaDear
She is a song, easy & free,
gliding over jagged decades
that have pushed chocolate children
from thick hips. Each word that bursts
off of the dancing pink of her tongue
should ring like a lark’s melody.
She has boulder eyes, heavy & sharp,
that have held the sights of earth-toned
people having bones beaten into memories
by Caucasian beasts with badges.
When thoughts of this woman, this mother,
gift of God, pirouette into my mind
I cannot help but recall the choir of percussive hearts
she has taught rhythm to & pray this voice
I have will swell loud & deep
so she might hear my thanks
wherever she breathes.

No comments:

Post a Comment