Sunday, December 12, 2010

MAINFEST, Strange Bedfellows, & Speakeasy: Oh My



What a weekend. MANIFEST 2 went very well on Friday. Amber Fults, Dana Rogers, and Holly McCormack all killed it, and I think that the people who managed to make it out for the event got the opportunity not only to see and hear them, but to feel like they know the ladies a little bit.

As you know if you’ve been keeping up with this blog, we were taking donations for Partnership’s Family Violence Center. We managed to raise $50 for them, which made me happy. We were also fortunate to have Carmen, who is a representative from Partnership, speak at the beginning of the night about all the different programs that Partnership has, their primary objectives, etc. I felt very pleased when she approached me about halfway through the night and told me how much she enjoyed what we were doing.

The next MANIFEST event will take place on January 14th. The Undoctored Originals (I’ve posted about them before) will be our featured musical act. Also, we’ll have live artwork produced, as well. It’s going to be dope. If you’re a lover of improve jazz, visual art, and some poetry, come check out what we’ve got going down. It’s a good way to start 2011 off.

Switching gears, STRANGE BEDFELLOWS is going down Saturday, Dec. 18th. We’re getting underway at 8:30. It’ll be held at the MOCCASIN BEND BREWING COMPANY (4015 TENNESSEE AVE). Admission is $3. Megan Hollenbeck, Marcus Ellsworth, Brandi Alexander, Mark “Porkchop” Holder, etc. will be performing. Also, I received confirmation a few days back that children ARE welcome to attend.

Lastly, keep in mind that the last THREE Speakeasy poetry/spoken word open-mics of 2010 are ahead of us. It’ll be a new year before you know it. If you dig poetry and haven’t come to The Speakeasy (or were unaware of it), we do it every Wednesday night @ The Office (901 Carter St. It’s in the lounge of the downtown City CafĂ©). I put the list out at 8 and, because we’re doing live streaming and podcasting now, we get rolling at 9. You have to be at least 21 with a valid I.D. to attend, but if that’s not an issue, come on down. There’s no language restriction and I’d be more than happy to put you on the microphone (if you just want to listen, that’s fine as well.)

Well folks, that’s all I got for now. I’ll catch up with you later. Don’t be strangers.

No comments:

Post a Comment