Sunday, July 14, 2013

Making Sense of the Senseless




What a week. What a day! I’ve been gearing up for my performance at The Hunter this coming Thursday, and everything has been coming along incredibly. Earlier today, I met with an immensely talented and skilled violinist who’ll be performing at the show to rehearse, and it was the last piece of the puzzle. I genuinely feel in my heart of hearts that my special guests and I are going to bring something resonant and unique to the table. I’ve been energized all day as a result.

 

However, like MANY out there, things changed when I watched the Zimmerman verdict. I felt supremely disappointed, and I had to get out and try to do something to take my mind off of the situation… even if it was just for a few hours.

There are so many issues at the heart of the situation involving the incident, the trial, and, now, the verdict. As a Black male, particularly one who just so happens to live in The South, I’ve experienced stereotyping, profiling, etc. I still experience it, and, more than likely, always will. I also had a police officer pull a gun on me in Tampa, FL… while I was driving my brother-in-law around for some pizza by the slice.

I think my immediate disappointment was that what motivated George Zimmerman’s actions can also motivate something to happen to me, people in my family, and many other people, simply based on the clothes we wear, our skin, and where we end up going or being. The stigma of being a Black male is so strong that even our children are at risk, because their existence somehow is a threat… still, in 2013.

Earlier in the week, I bought a Raiders hat at a Foot Locker. Now, I haven’t even stepped foot inside a Foot Locker in years (I probably had hair the last time that happened, and I’ve been bald for over four years). The bulk of the attire they have for sale there is the same attire that white kids, Black kids, Lil’ Wayne, etc. wear. It's all pretty common in this day and age. It’s also the same attire that was referred to as “thug wear” by Geraldo. Go figure.

I know this entry is a ramble. It’s very difficult to try to make sense out of the senseless. I have no clue what the rest of George Zimmerman’s life will be like, or how long people will be celebrating the verdict. All I have is hope. It is the hope that we will do better as a society and as a collective people. I hope that this, the Paula issue, and whatever comes next truly affords us the opportunity to really address and confront RACE to enable us to reach a better place. Here’s for hoping.

Blessings

No comments:

Post a Comment