Tuesday, February 26, 2013

The Baby’s Being Made


Greetings,

This past weekend, I hosted The Addy Awards, which honor graphic design and advertising organizations and individuals. It was a fun experience, and I really enjoyed the opportunity to briefly experience a TOTALLY foreign world. I was rocking a tuxedo and enjoyed doing the thing-thing with Moonlight Bride (who were the house band), and meeting a number of new people. Good times, dear friends.

Last week, I was truly HONORED to have Ms. Rachel Kelly from the band As Isaac lay some vocals on one of my tracks for the EP. We’d been going back and forth trying to find a break in each other’s schedules for a while, but the stars finally aligned and we were able to link up and record.

I sent her a rough demo of the piece, which deals with rape, a while back. Over that span of time, we only briefly discussed what I wanted her contribution to sound like. I’ve been a fan of hers since I heard her sing last year, so I didn’t want to stifle her in any way, and I was really confident that whatever she did would be amazing. Friends, I was RIGHT!

 
We hit the record button and just let her get comfortable on the track, and she pretty much knocked it out of the park on the first take. I had to hide my face because I was smiling so broadly and I didn’t want her to see it. Butch Ross, who is a phenomenal musician that I’ve been laying vocals with turned around after her first take and said that it sounds like something from The Color Purple, which is amazing. Rachel truly helped me take the piece to another emotional level.

I’m anticipating putting the final touches on that track and another one this week. After that, it’s off to begin the mixing process. The baby’s being made. Honestly, making this project a reality has really been a unique and affirming experience. I’ve poured so much of myself into each aspect of the work, and it’s kind of given me a different perspective on what I do, what I want to do, who I am as a man and an artist, etc. I can’t wait for you guys to hear everything.

Blessings

2 comments:

  1. So exciting, Christian! Congrats. Looking forward to hearing the rest of your baby!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad to hear the good things going on with you!!
    Mary J

    ReplyDelete