Sunday, November 4, 2012

November!


Welcome to November! The year is rapidly approaching its end (and, depending on your beliefs, the world is also rapidly approaching its end, but I digress).

Halloween is one of my favorite occasions of each year. I love doling out candy, seeing the kids in their costumes, watching horror movies, etc. This year, I decided to do something a bit different. If you’ve been following the blog at all over the past month or so, you know about The Vacant Outlet Tour and the improvisational work that I’ve been doing. I’ve been really interested in documenting the works through video, but I stumbled upon a cassette recorder and wanted to put it through its paces. So, Your Friendly Neighborhood Christian plugged in, hit record, and got down to business.

What’s interesting is that the whole process of recording completely altered the nature of what I’ve been doing. It’s been so in the moment with the emphasis being on creation and the total experience. Knowing that this would be something (largely for giggled and grins) that I’d listen to more than once made me a lot more critical as I was playing.

After hearing the pieces back a few times (they’re each 19-20 minutes long), I really appreciated the works. Was I satisfied with the sound quality? No. However, I really dug how I executed everything. I truly worked for each sound, and it’s always a trip to know that I made these things completely on the fly.

Ladies and gents, you can check out my Halloween excursions on the links below. Feel free to let me know what you think.

http://chirb.it/1fpDrP

http://chirb.it/r29wIN

No comments:

Post a Comment