Sunday, July 1, 2012

July!!!


Welcome to July! June was truly A MONTH! The last two weeks had a number of adventures and amazing times. Here’s a quick list of some of the things that I’ve experienced in the past 14 or so days.

  1. I witnessed the Into the Wild Tour with Killer Mike, El-P, etc.
  2. I met Big Boi from Outkast
  3. I performed with The Cumberland Collective in Nashville
  4. I gigged directly across the street from where George Lopez was simultaneously performing

This past week was incredible as well. On Thursday, I had the good fortune of performing at The Hunter along with Nathan McKay, Lord Subliminal, and Jody Harris aka The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. The weather was hot outside, but we had an amazing time. I, myself, wore many hats for the performance. I ran sound, served as dj, played electric guitar, and spit a lil’ somethin’, somethin’. It was WORK, but definitely the affirming and rewarding kind. I would not have had it any other way.

I pride myself on being an honest person and artist, so I have absolutely no shame in saying that I COMPLETELY butchered This Poem (hey, I’m human). These things happen, and I think I did a decent job of getting back on track after the flubs (if you mess up your lead-off piece, there’s only one direction to go from there).

This is going to sound odd, but I think the most fun I had during the entire performance was djing. Not only did I have the opportunity to spin some of my favorite Hip-Hop anthems, but I got to back up everyone else (most of the time, it was ENTIRELY on the fly).

I’ve said it before, but I love performing at The Hunter. Every time I have the chance to do so, I feel like something magical happens. I certainly hope to be back at some point!

Last night, I performed in TheCreativeUnderground Presents: Eclectic. My mentor Shane Morrow put on a show that paid tribute to several artists that we’ve lost in recent years including Whitney Houston, Michael Jackson, Donna Summer, etc. I played the role of the announcer, but the most fun I had was taking the stage and channeling the great Heavy D. We performed “Nuttin’ but Love” along with a rendition of “Candy Rain” by Soul for Real. It was the FIRST time that we performed the songs as a whole, and we rocked it, yo. The energy was through the roof, and we really got down. So. Much. Fun!

I’ve had such an amazing time for the past few months. I’ve really reconnected with myself, and I feel at home. I truly am thankful to be where I am in my life and to have the people that I have around me.

Lastly, different people have asked what songs I played on Thursday. I didn’t have a prepared set, so I put it together in front of everyone who was there, but here’s what I remember spinning:

  1. Talib Kweli – Get By
  2. Mos Def – Ms. Fat Booty
  3. Dilated Peoples – This Way
  4. Pharoahe Monch – Desire
  5. Brother Ali – Good Lord
  6. Ian Kamau – Can’t Make You Love Me
  7. Eyedea & Abilities – Now
  8. Dead Prez – Hip-Hop
  9. Pharoahe Monch – Simon Says
Blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment