Sunday, April 22, 2012

Weekend Wrap-Up


Greetings,
 
Man, what a weekend it’s been. I think I had the opportunity to experience the majority of the human emotions (the overwhelming majority of which were very positive) over the course of the past few days.



On Friday, my day began with a panic attack (I won’t go into detail about why). I managed to back it off and settle into my day. Pretty much after that, things turned around completely. The energy around me was great, I had fun, and I was really excited about having the opportunity to bring The Speakeasy event back to fruition.

I made my way down to Patten Parkway at 5:40 to set up, and I was pleasantly surprised with everything that was taking place. There were bands playing, a makeshift skate park had been setup, an array of food trucks were parked and doing business, etc. It truly was a sight.



When I made my way to Cadence, though, I realized that I had to do more work than I anticipated in order to get us ready to roll for Speakeasy. What should’ve taken ten minutes tops ended up taking about thirty minutes due to some unforeseen technical issues. These things happen, but in the moment, they can be VERY frustrating. However, once I managed to work everything out and people started showing up, it was all good.

We started at 7 o’clock on the nose and had a full list. That old magic was alive again. I had such a great time being able to run sound and facilitate the night. It was amazing to see some of our oldest patrons read and meet some of the newest poets I’ve come into contact with. The whole thing put a smile on my face, and we had a beautiful time.



Since its inception, Speakeasy has really been my church. It has been my sanctuary. It has absolutely meant the world to me and continues to resonate. I truly realize how incredibly fortunate I’ve been.

Last night, we had the MANIFEST: Jazz Poetics event. It’s always a pleasure to hear The Undoctored Originals play. They’re phenomenal musicians as well as genuinely humble and nice men. We collaborated on a little improv piece, which was big fun. I’m sure that some audio and video will be appearing from last night in the very near future. When it does, I will gladly shoot the information out for those of you who couldn’t be there.

Well gang, that’s all I’ve got for now. Be good, and make sure to enjoy the rest of the day.

Blessings

No comments:

Post a Comment