Thursday, April 5, 2012

April!


Greetings,

Man, what an opening week it’s been for April. Last night, I attended a show at Rhythm & Brews headlined by The Cumberland Collective, which consists of Mike Willis, Noah Collins and co. The band is nine members strong, and they sounded great on the stage.



About three or four songs in, I got pulled up to come up with… something to one of Mike’s songs about being yourself. So, I did what I’ve been known to do and I just started going to work. It was TREMENDOUS fun. I think we sounded pretty good together, and I hope it’s not the last time that we get to get down.

Last Sunday, I got to attend my good friend and mentor Shane Morrow’s Jazz Appreciation Month kick-off at The Hunter. The energy was wonderful. The talent was phenomenal. If you weren’t there, you truly missed out.



I had the opportunity to perform with The Undoctored Originals, who, as you know, are the featured band for the next MANIFEST on the 21st of this month. We NEVER plan anything out in advance, so I followed their lead and broke into the extended version of my poem Love’s Theme. Also, before we rocked together, they performed with a magnificent dancer. It was art, plain and simple, and it was really what I needed to experience.

I didn’t get a chance to break out the Mingus poem, however. It’ will be making its rounds this month though. I recorded a take of it that I initially planned on shooting out to the web, but I think I’m going to wait. There is so much music in the piece. I need to do a better job of playing it up. It’s a great opportunity to try some new things with my voice, so I’m looking forward to falling on my face until I can get it right.

Recently, I had the honor of being named one of the winners for the Origami Poems Project - Celebration Contest. You can check out my poem as well as the other winners here: http://us2.campaign-archive1.com/?u=e22858e5e234af36ecdd1beb5&id=1972149800&e=6ea759625e

Well folks, that’s all I’ve got for now. I’ll be in touch soon. Do the same!


Blessings

No comments:

Post a Comment