Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Getting to Zero


Hey Everybody,

Last night, I had the opportunity to participate in the Getting to Zero: A Midwinter Night of Music, Poetry, and Candles program. It was SUCH a tremendous honor just to be there, let alone touch the stage and perform. My throat was on the rough side, but I managed to do enough with it (hot tea, no talking, yadda yadda) beforehand to keep it in decent shape for when my time came to get on the microphone.




I also was elated to see some of my closest friends and fellow poets in attendance. I was extremely pleased to share the experience with them.

There was a portion in the night where we did a candlelight vigil to remember those who have passed. I really can’t express how it felt to listen to all the names of those who are no longer with us. Words simply can’t do it justice.  




While I was there, I couldn’t help but think about Rae Lewis Thornton. She is a woman who spoke at a Jack and Jill function I was a part of when I was 14, and her story and honesty really had a significant impact on my life. I realized just how much having her speak about her experiences living with AIDS helped to shape different parts of my life and to widen my perspective on the illness as well as the people who have it. For those of you who are unfamiliar with Rae, you can check her out here: http://www.raelewisthornton.com/




Well gang, that’s all I’ve got for today. I’ll be checking in a good bit over the next few days to wrap up things for 2011. All things considered, this has been a PHENOMENAL year for me. I’m extremely thankful.

Blessings

No comments:

Post a Comment