Sunday, September 4, 2011

The Speakeasy Update



On August 23rd of last year, The Speakeasy poetry/spoken word open-mic debuted at The Office. We had six strong months there before things fell apart (I’ve posted about what happened a few months ago).

In the time that Speakeasy’s been on hiatus, I’ve had the chance to strengthen my MANIFEST brand and take advantage of some opportunities for myself as an artist. As a result, MANIFEST has become pretty recognizable in Chattanooga and outside of it.



I’ve been unable to come to terms with another home for Speakeasy for one reason or another. As much as I’ve done over the past two years, Chattanooga is still a traditionalist’s town and a lot of places just don’t recognize the value of a poetry night, and that’s fine. I do, however, have a new prospect, and if things go well, Speakeasy will be back, although, with a few changes.



I’ve decided that it makes the most sense to throw Speakeasy under the MANIFEST brand name. On September 10th, I’m collaborating on a free event with Create Here, and I wanted to do it to showcase some of Chattanooga’s best visual artists. Also though, I wanted to do something to celebrate those who have lent their talents, energy, and support into my efforts for the past two years. Everyone is invited. Even if you can’t stay the whole time, stop by, have some drinks, tacos, and fun. Without those who’ve shown me love and dedication, none of what I’ve been able to achieve over the past few years here would’ve been remotely possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment