Sunday, September 18, 2011

Good Times, Great People


Anyone that has known me over the past few years knows that I’ve been at odds with Atlanta for some time (more so, it’s been at odds with me). I’ve endured a good bit while in The A, but, honestly, the last few months have been extraordinarily kind to me.

On Friday night, I made my way down for my friend Emily’s birthday show. I, honestly, didn’t know what to expect, but I was completely blown away. Emily and two other singer-songwriters (Heather Luttrell and Hannah Thomas) absolutely KILLED the whole night.

I got asked to cover the break, so I did four poems. I ended with a birthday poem for Emily (it’s at the end of this post), and after I finished, she jumped on the stage with tears in her eyes and proceeded to give Your Friendly Neighborhood Christian a big hug. I did my job!

The entire night, I had the opportunity to meet some amazing people. The energy was fantastic and I, honestly, felt so tremendously happy. I look forward to the next time I touch down in Atlanta to perform (I am available, for the record!).

As promised, here’s the poem that I wrote for Emily. Feel free to let me know what you think!

I have always believed
that it is more than shared desire
that weaves us inside our mothers.
I have always imagined
that it is purpose, with its mighty, steady hand,
that guides our swim from our fathers.

There are but a few people
who walk carrying destiny
in the coils of their intestines
& for them, their vision is a sharpened gaze,
their voices are as powerful
as giant waves toppling over.

Purpose has called out to you,
buried song in your sternum
one night while you slept,
gave you a gift that cannot be seen
in any other hue but pure.

On this day, as you celebrate
emerging from your mother's hips
small, unknowing & crying out,
remember that purpose
has polished you, made you shine
& turned you into a brilliant light
in the lives & hearts of many.

No comments:

Post a Comment