Saturday, May 28, 2011

RIP Gil Scott-Heron


I found out early this morning that Gil Scott-Heron passed yesterday. I remember being aware of The Revolution Will Not be Televised while growing up, but it wasn’t until about ten years ago that I really immersed myself in his material.



Gil has had a definite impact on me. He’s one of the definitive influential voices that have helped to shape me as a writer, artist, performer, and musician.



Last year, he released an album called I’m New Here and it is a great and introspective work. If you’re into Gil and haven’t already done so, you should track it down and give it a listen. Also, you should peep We’re New Here. Jamie XX from the band The XX reworked the I’m New Here record and an album was released earlier this year. Honestly, it is one of my favorite releases of 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment