Friday, October 29, 2010

Good News from the Grizzly (aka the Grind)



I’m happy to announce that we’re implementing something new to The Speakeasy. This past Wednesday, we did a test run of live broadcasting (yes, broadcasting) of the open-mic on the web. Things went pretty well, in all honesty, and we think it’ll be something unique to incorporate into the mix. Next, I’m proud to announce that as of last night, I got confirmation to officially make MANIFEST a monthly event. So, if you’re interesting in getting involved or possibly performing in a future MANIFEST, e-mail thespeakeasypoetry@gmail.com for details.

Speaking of MANIFEST, flyers are out and are getting hoisted. Anthony, Marcus, Mark Holder, and I are set to do an interview on WUTC 88.1 on Nov. 12th. It’s rare that I actually admit something like this, but I’m very excited. I’m really looking forward to November.

Last night, I participated in the open-mic challenge at the Camp House and placed third (which was a surprise for me). I wanted to go to get a live recording that I can submit to two online publications, so I was a bit taken aback by making it into the final. I managed to obtain my live recording, which I’ll have to edit out the stage banter (I’ll probably post it on here in the near future), but what I was really moved by was my third poem.

In the final, I decided to perform a new poem. It doesn’t have a title yet, but I’m sure that one isn’t too far off. A few weeks ago, I was talking to Travis Kilgore, who is a good friend of mine and a hell of a bassist, about growing up in the South. We discussed culture, race, etc. During our conversation, I relayed a story to Travis that inspired the poem.

I’m still tinkering with it, but I’ll also probably hoist the text up here before too long. I got a live recording of it as well, but there were a few hiccups on my part. I’d like to nail it. Once that happens, it will definitely make it on the blog.

I got offered to make a LIVE ALBUM last night. We’re tentatively bouncing ideas around now, but ideally, we’ll invite a lot of peeps, some will show up, and we’ll do it for real. I think that’s a cool idea, and definitely something that I’m interested in pursuing. I’ll keep you all posted on the progress.

Switching gears, on December 4th, there’s an event going down in Chattanooga called Mainx24. All along Main St., there will be a number of activities going down. I’ve been asked to put something together for the Camp House, so I’ve pegged Hara Paper, Sourne Korvid (who will be performing in MANIFEST I), and Amber Fults to perform. The timeframe for these performances is 4 – 7. I’ll throw the official schedule up here when I get it ironed out.





Also, I’ve been tapped to do a 15 minute set on Dec. 4th. However, it isn’t at the Camp House. I’ll be performing at CreateHere from 2:15 to 2:30, so if you’re out and about, come see me.

Well folks, be good to each other, and I'll see you when I see you. Happy Halloween!

No comments:

Post a Comment