Sunday, May 16, 2010

New Voices Poetry Reading


Last night, I had the pleasure of attending the New Voices Poetry Reading at Pascha Coffeehouse in St. Elmo. This event is run by Ray Zimmerman, who used to head up the Chattanooga Writers Guild, and features an array of local poets.

I went to support some of the poets who frequent the Speakeasy, and to just have a good time. I was very happy to see a great improv jazz band called the Undoctored Originals serving as the house band for the event, and they were absolutely phenomenal.

Eventually, Ray approached me and asked me if I'd be interested in reading as well, so before long, I'd grabbed a copy of my chapbook and ran through a few poems. The drummer for the Undoctored Originals actually backed me up on percussion while I performed Night Writers, and that was great fun for me.

I encourage everybody who can to make it out to the next one. The New Voices Poetry Reading takes place every third Saturday of the month, and, for all you promosexuals out there, is FREE. Check it out. And you can hear some of what the Undoctored Originals have to offer here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hc7mWk7zUBo and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTUdMhc5_6k&feature=related

No comments:

Post a Comment